Friday, January 1, 2010

A New Decade for Photography

Happy New Year! In reflecting back on the past, I've been able to see my progression as a photographer.

1970s - As a young child, I was the subject of photos and occasionally played with Grandpa's twin lens reflex camera.

1980s - The years went on and my siblings took the spotlight, so they were the more common subject of family photos. I often had a roll of film which spanned the events of more than one year. My dad was the example for always carrying a camera and documenting the people at each event.

1990s
- After graduating high school and spending some time on my mission, I discovered photography as a more convenient method of documenting my activities. Growing frustrated with my point-and-shoot camera not being able to focus through windows, or have proper nighttime exposures, I learned how to use an SLR. Returning home and gaining notoriety as a guy with a good camera and a great eye, the decade of weddings began. David Thomas Photography was now a business, and by the latter half of the decade, had an online presence (www.dt-photo.com). I was actively involved in the YSA program and gained a reputation as a great and affordable wedding photographer. That grew into a business which provided the majority of my income for a time and gave me lots of experience to sharpen my skills. Taking a couple of years of classes through Covina's Tri-Community School of Photography helped me earn a certificate and gave me exposure to industry experts who still worked in the field of photography.

2000s - Starting a family gave me plenty of excuses to photograph kids and polish my portrait skills. The film to digital transition was another adventure which kept me focused on family more thant clients, but still provided plentiful learning experiences. I'm still soaking up knowledge from so many sources, especially websites and podcasts, where before I was limited to monthly magazines and occasional bookstore visits. Hundreds of thousands of exposures, more than half a dozen cameras and quite a few lenses have added to my experience and I'm enjoying photography as much as ever.

2010s
- Looking at photography now as more of an art form than a revenue stream has taken away pressure of drawing an income and will allow me to continue enjoying my talent.

No comments: